A true athlete is a clean athlete.
To achieve clean sporting success you need to be sure that nothing you ingest or use – including food, drink, medication, supplements and herbal remedies – contains any banned substances.
Our advice is to follow three actions: tell, check and ask.
Always tell people you’re an athlete and have to abide by the anti-doping rules. For example, tell your doctor, teachers and friends that you have to check medications and consider the foods you consume in terms of anti-doping.
Before you take any medication, whether it’s bought over the counter or prescribed, always check that it is safe for you to use. You can do this by using an online system called Global DRO.
Global DRO is a web-based tool that allows you to type in the medication’s brand name or the ingredients. The website’s database will then tell you if the medication is safe to take. Always read your search results carefully as some substances are only banned in-competition and others are banned at all times. Try testing any medication you currently have at home to see if it is safe to take.
Things to Remember:
- Global DRO can only be used for licensed medications, not supplements or herbal remedies
- Global DRO can only be used to check medications sold in the UK, USA, Canada, Switzerland, Australia or Japan (Japanese only)
- A brand of medication in the UK does not necessarily contain exactly the same ingredients in the US or Canada, Switzerland , Australia or Japan, so always check if you buy the same product abroad.
- You should check Global DRO regularly. The status of medications can change if their ingredients contain a banned substance which is added to the Prohibited List, or if the manufacturer changes the ingredients of the product.
- Be sure to keep the reference number of any medicine checks you make as a record of your search.
People around you want you to succeed and be the best you can be. Ask them for advice if you are unsure about anything. Your family, coaches, teachers and the 100% me programme are here to help you.
Build your confidence in anti-doping to improve your understanding of how to protect yourself from inadvertent doping.