Giant Crumpets - by UKAD Athlete Commission Member, Christian Day
For these Giant Crumpets, you will need:
- 400ml warm milk
- 100ml warm water
- Tsp sugar
- Tbsp dry yeast
- 300g plain flour
- Tsp baking powder
- Combine the warm milk, water, sugar and yeast. Give it a quick stir and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well and slowly incorporate the milk mixing as you go. The mixture should be smooth and a thick double cream consistency.
- Put a clean tea towel over the bowl and allow to prove for 45 minutes in a warm place.
- Place a small pan over medium heat and add a small amount of oil.
- Add two ladles of the dough batter and cook for around 4 minutes per side. The crumpet should be golden brown and cooked through.
- To be served savoury or sweet with a choice of toppings. Christian's favourite toppings include smashed avocado, bacon, egg and tomato, but butter and jam are also great too!