Protecting the Right to Enjoy Doping-Free Sport

What Happens If I Need to Take a Banned Substance?


Sometimes, an athlete may need to take a banned substance for a legitimate medical condition, such as an inhaler for asthma.

If this is the case, athletes should check with their doctor or medical personnel if an alternative medication or treatment is available. If there are no alternatives, the athlete will need to apply for a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE). 

Some TUEs are required before you take the medication and some can be applied for if you are selected for doping control only. This depends on your sport and the level you are competing at. You can check by visiting the TUE section of this website.

As a guide:

  • International level athletes need to apply to their International Federation
  • Athletes competing at National level should apply to UKAD